Interpreter services available

Families with English as a second language can access a free interpreter service to help communicate with their local kindy service. You can ask your local service about booking an onsite or telephone interpreter.

To support the kindy participation of children from non-English speaking families, the government is funding free access for kindergarten services to the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS).

Interpreters can help kindy educators to:

  • advise parents on enrolment
  • conduct parent-teacher interviews
  • advise parents on kindy programs and activities
  • discuss educational assessment with parents
  • advise parents on kindy to school transition.

This Australia-wide service is operated by the federal Department of Immigration and Border Protection and employs interpreters who speak more than 170 languages and dialects.

Accessing the Translating and Interpreting Service

Families can call the Queensland Government on 13QGOV to inquire about translation services.

Translated resources

Find translated information on early childhood education and care services in Queensland here.

Find out more about cultural inclusion in early childhood services here.

Image Families can ask their local early years service to access an interpreter service for assistance

Published — 01 September 2016 Last updated — 28 August 2018

More like this

Want personalised tips and activities?

Complete these short questions to get personalised tips and activities to see how simple and easy it can be.

Get started
01 / 05

What is your relationship with the child?


What best describes your location?


If you had a spare moment, what would you most likely do with the child?


And finally…

Do you speak another language at home apart from English?
Are you of Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander descent?
Does the child need additional support with their development or learning?
Now we know a little more about the content that might interest you we’ve compiled it into a handy page for you.